Malabsorption over time question??

ddam7
on 11/8/11 8:51 pm - crystal lake, IL
Good morning, I was wondering if we have any observations about how many more calories we absorb after say 3, or 4, maybe more years? Does anyone know if the percentages change?
what I mean is, in the beginning it was about %80 fat %50 carbs, and about %50 protein.
Does the absorption of protein and carbs change but not the fat ?
I am almost 3 and a half years out from my surgery and things are changing.
I am now working out over 2 hours a day hard, 5 days a week to burn more calories and I am wondering if the malabsorption is going to just keep going and at what point it will remain.This question is probably for vets, But if anyone can give insite , that would be great! 
(deactivated member)
on 11/8/11 9:14 pm - Woodbridge, VA
I'm pretty positive there are no studies to provide this type of information. Are you having trouble maintaining or losing weight? I have a super long common channel, so I assume by now that I have NO caloric malabsorption at all, but I can still lose weight when sticking to the basics of protein first, unrestricted fat, and limiting carbs.
mrsannie
on 11/8/11 9:22 pm
I am only 2 years out myself but have also been wondering about this and this is what I have read.  Many times there is a "Honeymoon" phase to this surgery even after the weightloss phase has ended that can last up to 3 years.  Over time our body adjust to the surgery and will absorb more in an attempt to absorb more nutrition, and therefore will also absorb more calories, etc.  The human body is amazing and self adjusting, always changing!

I know myself, I can eat many more things that I couldn't eat last year.  Things that gave me gas beyond belief, now give a little toot here and there.  I don't know if this is because I take probiotics and have learned to manage my symptoms better, or because I am just digesting better, but either way its much easier to eat now.  But since I am eating a larger variety of foods my weight has crept up a few pounds and I need to watch it.

I hope this helps.  

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
Blank Out
on 11/8/11 9:40 pm
 I have read that after "adaptation" which is different for everyone, 1-2 years, that the malabsorption remains the same after that...  

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135